Thursday, February 12, 2015

Time to Give My Kids a DAGGER!


Yes indeed, I've decided it's time again. Time to once again attempt some roleplaying with my kids, that is! In the past I've run them through some short home-made scenarios using the Basic D&D rules, but they were a year younger than they are now when I made those attempts. Now they're both over the age of five, and I think they will be better able to grasp the basic concepts.
 
Helping us this time around will be Dagger for Kids, the neat little booklet of truncated Basic D&D rules from Brave Halfling Publishing. I think there might still be too much going on for them in the way of rules when it comes to the Basic rules, so I'm going to use Dagger in conjunction with either the actual Basic books or something like Swords & Wizardry/Labyrinth Lord.

Getting my kids into roleplaying is going to be awesome, for a number of reasons:
  • I get to be a DM again, in a more low-pressure environment/situation (and I can fit these games into my busy schedule on the fly, because my players live with me! No FLGS needed, we can just set up at the kitchen table and GO!).
  • I get to share the hobby I love with my kids
  • They benefit from time away from video games (which seem to be taking up more and more of their attention these days)
  • They benefit from all the personal development goodness that roleplaying is basically proven to offer.
  • I get to spend some quality imaginative and creative time with my kids, creating epic stories with them and bonding over shared adventure!
So, I'll be reporting back on our adventures soon. I hope to get our first game of 2015 going tomorrow night! Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. This is a very cool idea. I've wanted to do this with my daughter, who is 5 1/2, but we only have the one child and I'd ideally like her to experience "team play." We've thought of trying to invite some of her friends to play but everybody has such different schedules - my daughter goes to be around 9pm or so, but other of her friends go to be around 6:30pm and think that we're crazy for keeping our daughter up "so late."

    I'm looking forward to seeing how your campaign goes.

    ReplyDelete