Monday, February 24, 2014

D&D@40 Blog Hop: Days 22, 23, & 24

Day 22: First D&D-based novel you ever read (Dragonlance Trilogy, Realms novels, etc.)


That would be STORMBLADE by Nancy Varian Berberick! I was a young lad, still struggling to escape from the clutches of conservative Christian dogma, when I came upon this "unsung hero" of the Dragonlance novel line. Looking back, it seems strange that this is my first experience with a fantasy novel. It's quite a humble introduction, I suppose. But there you go! If you've never read it, go find a copy! I highly recommend it!

Day 23: First song that comes to mind that you associate with D&D. Why?

"Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin!

Also, I think of "Ballad of the Adventurers" by David Bowie. Ever heard it? Check out the lyrics:

Sickened by sun, with rainstorms lashing him rotten
A looted wreath crowning his tangled hair
Every moment of his youth apart from its dream was forgotten
Gone the roof overhead, but the sky was always there
Oh you, who are flung out, alike from heaven and from Hades
You murderers who've been so bitterly repaid
Why did you part from the mothers who nursed you as babies
It was peaceful and you slept and there you stayed
Still he explores and rakes the absinthe green oceans
Though his mother has given him up for lost
Grinning and cursing with a few odd tears of contrition
Always in search of that land where life seems best
Loafing through hells and flocked through paradises
Calm and grinning, with a vanishing face
At times he still dreams of a small field he recognises
With a blue sky overhead and nothing else

Day 24: First movie that comes to mind that you associate with D&D. Why?


Conan the Barbarian! Because when I saw it as a kid going through my original gaming experience, it seemed like one big D&D adventure! For all its faults, I love it still! And I DEFY YOU to not be pumped up to play some D&D when you hear THIS:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment