Saturday, February 1, 2014

D&D@40 Blog Hop: Day 1


OK, it's February, kids! Time for the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge! For the full list of participating blogs, head over to d20 Dark Ages and take a look! Now, on to my Day 1 post:
 
Day 1: First person who introduced you to D&D? Which edition? Your first Character?

I know I've mentioned this before on the blog (at least in my RPG testimonial), but my good friend Pat introduced me to D&D when I was around 13 (in the late 80's), and we were pretty much best friends at the time. My mom was horrified, since she was hard-core born-again Christian. In fact, she succeeded in convincing the young me, for a while, that D&D would send my immortal soul screaming into Hell when I died. Ah yes, I was raised with a healthy dose of divine fear.
 
But Pat, a devout Catholic, didn't seem to have any church-sanctioned, parent-induced fear of D&D. And he persisted in talking to me about it, and over time I finally decided to, you know, think for myself and agreed that D&D wasn't some Satan-crafted tool for collecting souls.
 
Pat had the First Edition AD&D books with the orange spines, so that was my first version of D&D (not Basic).
 
As for my first character, I can't say I remember, actually. But I know I was fond of paladins back in the day, and I know I played a few of them in my time.
 
Well, that's all for my first post! I'm off to read some other blogs!

2 comments:

  1. AD&D 1e was also my first experience with D&D. I just thought AD&D was D&D but with more options. It wasn't until I bought the D&D Rules Cyclopedia that I saw how different they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those orange spined ad&d books.

    ReplyDelete