Friday, January 4, 2013

End-of-Week CALDWELL (1/4/13)

"Welcome back to work. Now that you're safely chained to your desk again,
I want that proposal by close of business today. Or your soul is mine!"

Thank the good spirits this is a short work week! I'm definitely not ready yet to return to work after time off for the holidays, so I've had to slog through the last three days. Fake it 'til you make it, right?

This week's art selection is from Clyde Caldwell instead of Mr. Elmore. This is because the Caldwell illo above illustrates how I feel at the old workplace today. I should probably see this new year as a chance to reflect on my dissatisfaction with my overall career "choice." I put "choice" in quotes because, upon reflection, I sort of meandered into my current career rather than taking an active approach to finding a career that I really enjoy. I've just sort of followed a path of least resistance, in my estimation.

It might be time to correct my wandering career path, and take some steps to redirect the trajectory of the rest of my working life (which, based on current Social Security projections for the future and the pitiful 401Ks in this country, will probably be the rest of my natural life).

Who knows, maybe someday I'll have a career that will eliminate my hatred of Mondays. I was going to say "one can dream" but that's probably one of the roots of my dilemma: too much dreaming, not enough doing.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd get any work done if that's how my boss looked.

    Instead, I have the middle-aged guy with a crew cut and the casual business attire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, because most of my bosses have been women over the years. Perhaps that's because I'm in the marketing/ business development field. None of my bosses have looked like Takhisis, but some of them have had her personality.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we create chains for ourselves without ever realizing that we've done so.

    The longer we wait to break these chains, the harder it becomes.

    Just some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete