Monday, December 17, 2012

End-of-Week Elmore (12/14/12)


Yes, I know it's the 17th, but it is the holidays and things have been frantic. Therefore, last Friday's EOWE is here today. Better late than...you know.

The above, I believe, is the cover of the first edition of Shadowrun. Loved this one! It inspires me because I'm going through a resurgence of interest in all things cyberpunk, something that happens to me a couple times of year. This includes the possibility of cyberpunk (and maybe extending into space opera) at the game table.

But I'm also dealing with what is most likely an unhealthy attachment to traditional D&D. Actually I've been dealing with that for a while now. I'm still wondering if I'm just an old guy who has calcified into a roleplaying rut. I don't like to dwell on that for too long...

What this boils down to is this: I'm not sure a cyberpunk game will be hitting my game table any time soon. But one can dream...

Maybe the Shadowrun merging of fantasy and science fiction is what I need to overcome my D&D obession! Hmmm, or maybe not. The mix of genres in Shadowrun was always intriguing to me IN THEORY, but I have always had a deep "keep your peanut butter out of my chocolate" thing when it comes to fantasy.

Elves in cyberspace? That'll be the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment