Monday, April 23, 2012

L is for Labyrinth Lord

As I've mentioned on this blog before, I've never played Basic D&D. I've always been an Advanced D&D guy. I've owned the Rules Cyclopedia forever, but never had the chance to play by those rules.
Well, all that's about to change. Via the awesome retroclone Labyrinth Lord, I'm about to embark on my first Basic D&D experience in my more than two decades of gaming. And I am damned excited!

I've created a new blog for my campaign, Thunder Rift Sagas! Please head on over and feel free to poke around and become a follower if you so wish. Things are a bit sparse over there at the moment, of course, but that will definitely change as the campaign progresses.

I've got a copy of the Labyrinth Lord revised rules softcover, and have a couple copies of the original rules with the purple cover for the players to use (I think the only difference between the original and revised is some typo corrections and the armor table). I've also got the really cool referee screen. I have Stonehell Dungeon, the Dungeon Alphabet, and Barrowmaze, so I'm set in the dungeon department for a while!

I can't wait to introduce a bunch of new players to this particular type of old-school gaming! I feel like I'm truly going to become a part of the OSR, in running this game. I hope to do the movement proud!

Hey out there! If you have any experience running Labyrinth Lord, let me know about your experiences with the game. I would love to get your advice, tips on products you love to use, and so on.

By the way, Labyrinth Lord creator Dan Proctor was a recent guest blogger on the Black Gate magazine blog, where he posted a bit of inside information on the creation of his game. You should also visit his Goblinoid Games blog when you get a moment.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE LL. In fact it was my "L" post as well.
    http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/2012/04/l-is-for-labyrinth-lord.html

    I am considering dropping my plans to move to 4th ed after my kids finish up 3rd edition and instead doing something more old school.

    LL is at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tim: you should definitely do LL instead of 4E!!! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought I'd spread the word on my old school blog, check it out if you can, please! Focused on artwork, and a bit of humour!

    http://dirkswordman.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete