Wednesday, April 4, 2012

B is for Brevity

Ok, I'm not sure this post pertains directly to my theme for my A to Z list, but it has some indirect relationship. You'll see what I mean. I think.

Anyway, I've been told many times in my life that I am a good storyteller. I've also been told that my stories are too long. And I've been told I take forever to make my points when talking.


Oh well, I'm something of a natural storyteller, for good or ill (or more likely both).

Anyway, I've come to a conclusion: I'm going to make a choice to write short blog posts. I feel like the trend is to feel the urge to write long dissertations on our hobby with each blog post. But, this is impractical for me at this time in my life, when I have so little free time. I'd rather spend that time gaming, so blogging has to take a back seat. BUT I still want to blog.

So for my posts going forward, I'm going to try to get my point across as efficiently as possible. I believe this is possible, not just for me but for bloggers in general. This may be a delicate balancing act, of course, but I'm going to make the effort to say what I want to say clearly but without a lot of filler. That's tough for me most of the time.

I'm excited about this experiment, because I have a big backlog of ideas for posts that has been piling up. I'm hoping that I can start getting those ideas out without having to write massive posts, and still get my point across in a manner that feels satisfying.

Future posts will probably be about the length of this post, if not shorter.

How does this tie into my current work on a new Labyrinth Lord campaign? Well, less time blogging means more time for preparation! So, excuse me while I go back to work.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for setting a challenge. It's fun to do those from time to time and see where it takes us.

    Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment love for the last two posts, Whisk! Judging by lack of other comments, seems like yours are the only props I'm getting for this little endeavor so far ;-)

    I am the master of self-pity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an odd thing, blogging. Sometimes we can write a post that is well-written and thoughtful and get hardly any comments, if at all.

    Other times we can do a throw away post and get a ton of comments.

    Just the nature of the beast.

    But ... I encourage you to keep going.

    ReplyDelete