Friday, July 1, 2011

Another one slipped under my RPG radar...


Welcome to July, everyone! Hope you fellow Americans are as excited as I am to be heading into a nice holiday weekend!
I am kicking off the new month with a "Doh!" post regarding another RPG that I did not know about until a day or so ago. First there was The One Ring, and now it's...

LEGENDS & LABYRINTHS!

While I will stick to my guns when it comes to "there's no such thing as too many RPGs," I have to say that I personnally am not interested in trying to play most of these new games coming out. Sure, I will probably take a good look and may even steal some ideas from them. But what it comes down to for me above all is time. That is my most limiting factor in this stage of my life. I need to focus on the systems I know well enough to GM/play, and that's D&D for me. I need time to prepare for games and maybe throw some blogging into the mix.

Maybe the cause of AND cure for my gamer ADD is time limitations. I need to continually remind myself of my limitations, and not let them drive me insane and cause me to flail around from one new shiny game to another. I have to focus on what is GOOD about my current game situation: I have a great core of dedicated gamers that I have met, we are able to meet pretty regularly, and we have a pretty good venue to play at. That's really all I could ask for at this moment in my life.

So count your roleplaying blessings if you are fortunate enough to be able to actually participate in games! As always, happy roleplaying and GAME ON!

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of either of these two games until you posted them, so thanks for bringing them to my attention.

    Sure, I will probably take a good look and may even steal some ideas from them. But what it comes down to for me above all is time. That is my most limiting factor in this stage of my life. I need to focus on the systems I know well enough to GM/play, and that's D&D for me.

    You just described me perfectly. I've got a group that's happy with D&D and its clones (which includes Pathfinder, retro-clones, and I'm betting I could convince them that C&C is cool). But, yeah, I like to buy new games to pilfer for ideas to import into my existing games rather than to play them "as is."

    The only new RPG that I've learned to play in the past 23 years is Savage Worlds because my friend Cal is running a campaign. It's the first time in that long that I read the rules of a game with the intent to play it, rather to to see "what can I steal for my D&D-related games?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that L&L cover is awesome. Talk about a badass dragon! "Yes, adventurers, feel free to attack. No, I don't need to get up. You'll be dead soon anyway."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin: I consider C&C to be an offshoot of AD&D, so I think it would be an easy sell to your group! Good luck!

    Gwydion: yeah that dragon is taking those chumps out like nothing...

    ReplyDelete